Traveling with children
A journey by plane is exciting – especially for our little ones. Austrian offers a variety of special services for families travelling with children throughout the entire journey.
But what is the exact key for a smooth start of a family holiday?
Here we have put together some useful tips for you about flying with children. So you can prepare for your trip and start a relaxing family vacation.
- Do not forget to take the favorite cuddly toy of your child with you on the trip and explain that it also has to go through the security control.
- Whether listening together to an audio book or playing online games, it is always a good idea to carry a tablet computer or a laptop in a hand luggage. The myAustrian FlyNet offers a great opportunity to use the WLAN access during the flight.
- The eJournals offer a variety of magazines, also children magazines. You can download them 24 hrs prior to departure when travelling only with myAustrian Holidays ticket.
- How to entertain your child when the flight is delayed? Go exploring – airports are busy and full of interesting places, take a trip on the low escalators or if you have time, do plane spotting.
- Ensure that there is no dangerous toy, scissors or nail file in the hand luggage.
Planning your trip
Secure your seats!
When you're travelling together with your children, you want to sit together as well.
Families traveling with a child under two years of age (without a seat) can book seats for 2 adults and all children under 12 years free of charge for the same booking (online and in the call center). Children over 12 years of age and other adults pay the normal price (standard seat EUR 10, -, rows 1-3 EUR 13, -)
Catering on board of myAustrian Holidays flights
With a flying time of up to 2 hours and 19 minutes you can enjoy our delicious warm paninis catering. On our longer flights, you can choose between two hot meals.
Always to find on bord of a myAustrian Holidays flights: Alete Baby Food Jars. While on flights lasting 4:00 hours or longer, delicious children's menus can be ordered.
Soft drinks - and for the parents also wine and beer are on board of course free of charge. We would also be pleased to provide you with a glass of Frizzante for a smooth start of your holiday.
Prams and buggies
The transportation of a foldable baby stroller on Austrian Airlines flights is up to a weight of 10 kg (22 lbs) free of charge. At some airports you may take your stroller to the aircraft. In case your stroller or buggy does weigh more than this value it must necessarily be checked-in. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded the respective excess baggage fee .
Please note: Passengers departing from Vienna Airport can be taken to the departure gate and handed over before boarding the aircraft.
On arrivals at Vienna Airport baby strollers will be returned to all passengers via the baggage carousel.
You may bring your own infant car seat on board of Austrian flights. Simply reserve a seat for your child at the applicable child fare well ahead of time.
The infant car seats must be approved for transportation on board an aircraft (TÜV-, FAA- or CASA certified) and must fit on the cabin seat (max. dimensions 43 cm x 43 cm).
You may bring different models of child restraint devices but due to safety reasons the device may not be used during take-off and landing and when the fasten seat belt sign is switched on.
Please mind, that you are familiar with the manufacturer's instructions for the child restraint device's use and fitting in a plane as you are responsible to attach it to the passenger seat.
Unfortunately, our cabin crew will not be able to help you fix the infant car seat in place. If the device cannot be fitted properly, it must be checked-in.
Suitable seat designation
When checking-in, observe following:
- choose preferably a window seat for your child using the child restraint device
- accompanying persons should take the seat next to the child
- seats in emergency exit rows and bulkhead rows may not be used
- with the use of a car seat other passengers must not be inconvenienced or impeded in the event of a possible emergency evacuation
The "You will be directed to a possibly non-accessible site. Take care. Be careful.CARE " Child Aviation Restraint System is approved for the use on board Austrian flights. If you want to bring such a harness please consider that it is restricted to children
- weighing between 10 - 20 kg (22 - 44 pounds), and/or
- not exceeding a height of max. 1 m (40 inch)
Please note that children under 2 years require their own seat for fastening this restraint harness and notification to email@example.com is required.