Requirements for transport
Please understand that we transport only dogs and cats in good health, exclusively with the animal owner on the same flight.
The following prerequisites for transport must be fulfilled:
- Young animals (weaned) with a minimum age of 12 weeks
- A maximum of three puppies from the same litter (weaned), with a max. weight 8 kg (17 lbs) per puppy, in a suitable transport container
- A maximum of two grown (adult) animals with a max. weight of 14 kg (30 lbs) per animal, in a suitable transport container
If your dog is a fight dog/mixed breed fighting dog or a pug-nosed dog, please inform our Special Cases Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
, as there are special transport regulations. We are happy to inform you about the specifics separately.
As fighting dogs are classified:
American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier (Miniature Bull Terriers are not considered fighting dogs), American Bulldog,Caucasian Ovcharka (Caucasian Shepherd Dog), Dogo Argentino, Karabash (Kangal Dog) (Anatolian Shepherd Dog), Rottweiler
In order to travel with pets you must always carry the following documents with you throughout the entire journey:
- Transit/immigration papers and documentation
- Pet health certificate (EU pet passport) issued by a veterinarian
- Pet vaccination certificates
Applicable rates for the transport of pets
The basis for our applicable rate concept builds the weight and size of the animal, the transport container, as well as the applicable flight route. We distinguish between three different categories: "Small", "Medium", and "Large".
|Category||Type of transport||Weight, Size, Transport container||Price|
|Small||In cabin||Weight: max. 8 kg (incl. pet), Size: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm||EUR 30,-|
|Mittel||In cargo hold||max. 60 x 45 x 40 cm||EUR 75,-|
|Groß||In cargo hold||Dimensions exceeding 60 x 45 x 40 cm||EUR 150,-|
The rates quoted are applicable per animal and flight segment within Europe and third countries.
A ticket service fee will be charged in case of payment at the airport. Charges may vary, depending on the airport of departure. For departures from Austria a service charge of EUR 15, - per service and leg is applicable.
On flights operated by our partner airlines (codeshare flights) and charter flights, different rules and tariffs may apply.
Please note that pets must always be registered 48h before departure in order to check eligibility and potential capacity restrictions. .
For the required registration, please contact:
- our call center at +43 5 176 676 700 from Austria and abroad
Small dogs and cats in the cabin
It is possible to bring your dog or cat with you on board. In addition, the following prerequisites must be fulfilled in order to transport your pet in the passenger cabin:
- However, all pets have to be placed in a suitable and leak-proof container.
- The container (incl. your pet) must not exceed a max. weight of 8 kg (17 lbs.).
- The container, in order to be easily stowed under your seat, must not exceed the dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm in size.
Larger animals in the cargo hold
In compliance with the applicable transport regulations, animals which cannot be accommodated in the passenger cabin can be transported in the cargo hold. During the registration of your pet prior to departure please inform us about the size (dimensions) and weight of the suitable transport container you intend to use. We will check the eligibility in accordance with the applicable IATA standards as well as available aircraft cargo capacity for you.
Required container specifications
- The animal must be able to stand upright and have sufficient freedom to move
- Water and food containers must be provided by the owner
- The container must be leak-proof and equipped with absorbent material
- There must be breathing holes (vents) on at least three sides of the container
- The container has to be stable and resistant to bursting
Austrian Airlines reserves the right to check the condition of the transport container and the behavior of the animal at check-in to ensure safe transport throughout the entire journey.
Service dogs (guide dogs, signaling dogs)
If all safety requirements are met, Austrian Airlines allows service dogs free of charge in the cabin. Please register your service animal at the time of booking.