The safety and well-being of your pet during the flight is of great concern to us. Therefore please keep the current You will be directed to a possibly non-accessible site. Take care. Be careful.animal welfare regulations as well as the You will be directed to a possibly non-accessible site. Take care. Be careful.import and export regulations of the respective countries in mind. You are required to bring all necessary documentation with you.
Requirements for transport
Please understand that we transport only dogs and cats in good health, exclusively with the animal owner on the same flight.
The following prerequisites for transport must be fulfilled:
- Young animals (weaned) with a minimum age of 12 weeks
- A maximum of three puppies from the same litter (weaned), with a max. weight 8 kg (17 lbs) per puppy, in a suitable transport container
- A maximum of two grown (adult) animals with a max. weight of 14 kg (30 lbs) per animal, in a suitable transport container
Special requirements (e.g. a special crate or container) apply to the transportation of breeds of dogs classified as fighting dogs and brachycephalic (snub/pug-nosed) dogs.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Dogs and cats, which belong to the dull-nosed breeds, have anatomically conditioned narrowed respiratory tracts and therefore respiratory distress. The stress caused by transport or high temperatures at departure, transfer or destination airports can lead to circulatory problems and thus to increased shortness of breath. Your animal may suffer serious health damage or even die during the journey.
Therefore, the transport of these breeds in the hold will be restricted from 1 January 2020.
Among the endangered dog breeds belong:
- Monkey pinscher
- Bull Dog (all breeds except American Bull Dog)
- Pug (all breeds)
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Grifffin
- Bull Mastiff
- bull terrier
- Chow Chow
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin
- Japanese Spaniel
- Lhaso Apso
- Pit Bull
- Shih Tzu
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Among the endangered cat breeds belong:
- British shorthaired cat
- Exotic Shorthair
- Himalaya Cat
- Persian Cat
- Scottish folding ear cat
The restrictions also apply to hybrids of the breeds mentioned.
In order to travel with pets you must always carry the following documents with you throughout the entire journey:
- Transit/immigration papers and documentation
- Pet health certificate (EU pet passport) issued by a veterinarian
- Pet vaccination certificates
Applicable rates for the transport of pets
The basis for our applicable rate concept builds the weight and size of the animal, the transport container, as well as the applicable flight route. We distinguish between three different categories: "Small", "Medium", and "Large".
|Category||Type of transport||Weight, Size, Transport container||Price|
|Small||In cabin||Weight: max. 8 kg (incl. pet), Size: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm||EUR 50,-|
|Middle||In cargo hold||max. 60 x 45 x 40 cm||EUR 100,-|
|Big||In cargo hold||Dimensions exceeding 60 x 45 x 40 cm||EUR 150,-|
The rates quoted are applicable per animal and flight segment within Europe and third countries.
A ticket service fee will be charged in case of payment at the airport. Charges may vary, depending on the airport of departure. For departures from Austria a service charge of EUR 15, - per service and leg is applicable.
On flights operated by our partner airlines (codeshare flights) and charter flights, different rules and tariffs may apply.
Please note that pets must always be registered 48h before departure in order to check eligibility and potential capacity restrictions. .
For the required registration, please contact:
- our call center at +43 5 176 676 700 from Austria and abroad
Small dogs and cats in the cabin
It is possible to bring your dog or cat with you on board. In addition, the following prerequisites must be fulfilled in order to transport your pet in the passenger cabin:
- However, all pets have to be placed in a suitable and leak-proof container.
- The container (incl. your pet) must not exceed a max. weight of 8 kg (17 lbs.).
- The container, in order to be easily stowed under your seat, must not exceed the dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm in size.
Larger animals in the cargo hold
In compliance with the applicable transport regulations, animals which cannot be accommodated in the passenger cabin can be transported in the cargo hold. During the registration of your pet prior to departure please inform us about the size (dimensions) and weight of the suitable transport container you intend to use. We will check the eligibility in accordance with the applicable IATA standards as well as available aircraft cargo capacity for you.
Required container specifications
- The animal must be able to stand upright and have sufficient freedom to move
- Water and food containers must be provided by the owner
- The container must be leak-proof and equipped with absorbent material
- There must be breathing holes (vents) on at least three sides of the container
- The container has to be stable and resistant to bursting
Austrian Airlines reserves the right to check the condition of the transport container and the behavior of the animal at check-in to ensure safe transport throughout the entire journey.
Service dogs (guide dogs, signaling dogs)
If all safety requirements are met, Austrian Airlines allows service dogs free of charge in the cabin. Please register your service animal at the time of booking.